Friday, August 20, 2010

The List

So I've decided to scrap new year's resolutions in lieu of a Bucket List. New Years can be a time to reflect on the goals I've set here, but really this is a life long adventure, not just a yearly thing. Some of these are big and will take years to accomplish, some of them I'm working on now. Most of them listed here I'm starting over from scratch (for example any roller coasters I've already been on and any states I've previously visited don't count in this case!) My actual list will be posted here. It'll be easier to update it there, this blog is more about my working on the list and accomplishing them than the list itself :)

**** Either working on it now or will be soon ****

  • Dread my hair again Completed 9/5/2010
  • See Weezer again
  • Have chickens
  • Go skinny dipping
  • Work for a non-profit
  • Get Another Tattoo
  • Pay off my student loans
  • Go to Frozen Dead Guy Festival in Nederland, CO and do coffin race and polar plunge!
  • Take a cooking class
    I'm thinking Thai cooking...
  • Make homemade pierogies
  • Pay for the person behind me at a drive through
  • Drive cross-country with no plan
  • Get Lost
  • Go skinny dipping
  • Light a fire without matches or a lighter
  • Throw a dart at a map blindfolded and go to the country hit
  • Learn how to ride a motorcycle
  • Live in a different country for at least 6 months
  • Polar Bear swim/jump



  • Watch the sunrise and sunset in the same day
  • Find a four-leaf clover
  • Many more tattoos
  • Get clavicle piercings
  • Own either an electric car or one that runs on biodiesel
  • Make the world a better place
  • Go on 100 roller coasters
  • Go on Alpine Slide in Park City
  • Go on a zip line
  • Go bungee jumping
  • Try surfing
  • Go geocaching
  • Scuba Dive
  • Run a 5k
  • Run a 10k
  • Run a marathon
  • Go hang gliding
  • Skydive
  • Go camping in the winter *Washington doesn't count.
  • Learn to snowboard
  • Have my fortune told
  • Hike all 53 Colorado 14ers
    *Starting with Pikes Peak (summer '11)
  • Join a bowling league



    *hopefully one that doesn't care that I can't bowl worth a damn.
  • Go to Burning Man
  • See Stonehenge
  • Hike Chilkoot Trail
  • Sea kayak in Glacier Bay
  • Go dog sledding (in Alaska of course)
  • See the Northern Lights again, this time in the winter
  • Learn Tai Chi
  • Have 6 months emergency savings
  • Learn to play guitar
  • Learn to juggle
  • Make mead
  • Brew my own beer
  • ****Make my own root beer
  • Act in a play at the community theater
  • Make my own kite (need to fix my sewing machine... or more likely borrow someone's...)
  • ****Learn to embroider
  • Watch every movie that has won an Academy Award for Best Picture



    *Here is a link to a cool website that lists them by movie poster. Need to join Netflix again to accomplish this I think...
  • Keep Bees
  • Build a tree house
  • Go ghost hunting or take a ghost tour in a haunted place
  • Adopt wild horses and train myself
  • Make my own vegan soap
  • Go to Day of the Dead Festival in Mexico
  • See Flogging Molly
  • See O.A.R
  • See DMB at the Gorge
  • See DMB at Red Rocks
  • Start community garden(s)
  • Learn to knit or crochet socks and hats and gloves/mittens
  • Go to Greece
  • Go to Mardi Gras
  • Have security by way of Your Money or Your Life
  • See a beach for every color possible
  • Join Peace Corps once my boys are grown
  • Make a pumpkin pie from a pumpkin I grew
  • Have a dark room
  • Learn photography like in the movie A Lot Like Love
  • Learn food preservation
  • Be able to identify local plants
  • Be able to identify local birds
  • Learn to walk in heels without looking like an idiot



    *just so that I can.
  • Learn most common constellations
  • Fly in a hot air balloon
  • Visit London, Ireland and Scotland
  • Do 20 non-girly pushups in a row
  • Grow most of my own food
  • Do a cartwheel. Seriously
  • Learn to make glass beads
  • Grow trees from seed, plant and track via GPS



    *Need hand held GPS*
  • Climb the tallest tower at Bishop's Castle and ring the bell



    *Bishop's Castle is a local landmark, a castle being built by just one man, it's amazing if you can get past his hollering rants :) I've never been afraid of heights, but my body is rebelling against the structure itself! I also want to climb to the top of the 'ball'. Not on a windy day!
  • Learn to write well with my left hand
  • ****Learn Spanish



    *Taking my first Spanish class in a week and a half (as of today, 8/20/10). Spanish is widely spoken where I live. I think everyone should learn at least a second language and Spanish is a big part of the culture where I live and plan to work.
  • Live as simply as possible



    *Need to give up all the clutter, stop creating so much waste, depending on so much stuff, eating so much processed food, etc. I want to enjoy everyday for what it is and know that I'm doing the least amount of damage to our earth as possible
  • Own my own land (at least 5 acres)
  • Build an earthship on my land (once I own some)



    *Earthships are amazing. You can live very lightly on the earth while remaining very self sufficient. This has been my dream for years.
  • Be debt free (possibly minus mortgage and/or car payment)
  • After college, find a career that is fulfilling and helps make the world a better place



    *I don't want the usual life, the usual job. I don't want to just sit in an office. I want to do my part to help make the world a better place, whether a little or a lot.
  • Make the switch from vegetarian to vegan, once and for all



    *I'm on a quest for a good vegan cheese, that I can make (I live out in the boonies and don't want to pay a fortune to get just okay vegan cheese). I have a recipe I need to try, if it works I think I can finally make the switch for good.
  • Learn to make potstickers
  • Document 100 mullets and display in a cool way



    *Business in the front, party in the back lol I just smile every time I see one.




  • Make my own telescope
    *I want one and think it would be neat to make one from mostly recycled objects.
  • Finish college
  • Fall in love. This time forever
  • ****Train Zoe so she doesn't drive me crazy



    *I love my dog, we adopted her over a year ago, but she escapes when you open the door, barks like crazy inside the house and gets way too excited when people visit. I'd like her to be a well behaved dog.
  • Go to Australia
  • Visit Mayan Ruins
  • Visit Salem at Halloween
  • ****Achieve and maintain a healthy weight



    *I need to be in better shape to accomplish half of these things :)
  • Visit all 50 states
    *I want to not only visit all 50 states, but do something memorable at each one like Mardi Gras in Louisiana, Everglades in Florida, etc. Might create a list that has something for each state... *Need to make a separate list* <- in progress
  • Ride a donkey down to the Grand Canyon
  • See the pyramids on camel back
  • Build 100 things from instructables.com
  • Read 100 books a year (this will be harder while going to school, but I can think I can manage. Since it's past mid-August I'm going to cut myself some slack and only require myself to read 50 this year)







2 comments:

  1. This is such an awesome idea that I think I am going to jump on the train!!

    Hope you don't mind:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all! It's not like it was my idea originally and it makes me happy to think I might inspire others to create their own lists and try to live life to the fullest! Good luck on your adventures!

    ReplyDelete